Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Recycled Wine Bottle Glasses

So, I have drank all of my favorite red wine and now I have a beautiful empty wine bottle, what to do with it? Recycle it? Maybe, if nothing else. Make it into a pretty flower vase for a window sill or table center piece? Yes, I have done that before. Here is a new idea I just saw on a cleaver hacks post. Make the bottles into glasses.

Lately, I have been on a no plastic dishes kick after watching ”Bag It” the documentary.


I have been slowly replacing my tupperwares with pyrex and anchor dishes with plastic lids. I have gone away from plastic cups and bowls for ceramic or glass bowls and replaced most of my metal ovenware with stone, ceramic or glass pieces. I like glass and ceramic over plastic and metal because there is very little possibility of harmful chemicals leaching into my food and glass and ceramic are easier to keep clean and looking nice. No one likes rusty, scraped off metal cookie sheets, or plastic containers that have baked on food residue or melted a little because of the microwave. Stoneware like those from Pampered Chef actually become seasoned (better) over time, not worse. Anyways, I could go on forever on why to stay away from plastic and metal food serving pieces, but I wont now. Suffice it to say I now need to get myself a set of glasses to use in my next apartment, since all of my cups (not the coffee mugs of course) are plastic.

Here is an idea.

Using beautiful green, olive and blue wine bottles from the recycle bins of local grocery stores, I should be able create a set of my own glasses at very little cost. I would make my glasses taller than these of course. I would try to use as much of the bottle as possible, right up to the neck of the bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment